Skip to main content

Sensitivity

One of the atheist pages I follow posted this image on the right.  I started participating in the discussion in the comments.  One woman, who claimed to be an atheist, was defending Christianity and saying how this statement is insensitive.

Many of the things I have said on my blog and on my Facebook wall I have been told are insensitive.  And many of the things I say really are insensitive.  However, if you think that this particular type of thing is insensitive, then you do not understand the motivation behind saying it.

I value life.  I value human life very highly.  I value independence and freedom very highly.  I value individuality and individual expression.  So, when I see an institutionalized attack on life and on individuality, I am offended.  I am incensed. I am infuriated.  I consider it an insult to humanity.  I consider it an attack on morality.  And such an institutionalized attack has occurred and is still in the process of occurring.  And the guilty party is religion.

We'll stick with Christianity, since it is the religion mentioned in the meme, but the same applies to many other religions, especially Islam.  The Christian Bible calls for the death of homosexuals.  (See Leviticus 20:13.)  Throughout the ages, Christians have waged war on humanity.  They have waged war against homosexuals.  Gays have been beaten, killed, shamed to the point of suicide, emotionally and psychologically ravaged.  All at the hand of Christians.  All in the name of preaching the gospel of Christ.  All because of the Bronze Age belief that being gay is evil.

I have compassion for those who have been oppressed.  I have compassion for people who have been and are every day assaulted because they are gay.  I have compassion for people who are ridiculed by their classmates.  I have compassion for the teens who are made to feel that their only recourse is to end their own life.  My heart goes out to all those who have been made to suffer.  And this is why I share thoughts such as that given above.  This is why I criticize Christianity.  This is why I say the things I say, which so many people tell me are insensitive.  The way I see it, those who are Christian or who support Christianity are being insensitive.  They are insensitive to those who have suffered at the hand of Christianity.  They are insensitive to all of the lives lost in the name of the "law of God".

To me, the greater offense is in excusing or allowing that kind of behavior.  The greater offense is in attacking gay people, in oppressing us and taking away our rights and our happiness.  The greater offense is in passing laws which make homosexuality punishable by death (no, not here in the USA, but in some countries that is sadly the case).  For me to say nothing about these offenses would be insensitive.  For me to say "Well, but Christianity does so much good and it makes people feel warm and fuzzy" would be insensitive.  It would be to dismiss all of the harm and damage that has been done.  It would be to dismiss all of the lives lost.  It would be to conceal the gaping wound that has been placed on humanity.

If you belong to a Christian church, you subscribe to the teaching that homosexuals should be killed.  That is written in your holy book.  If you pay tithes to a Christian church, you are supporting the oppression of gay people.  You are endorsing the restriction of rights of others.  You are part of the problem, not part of the solution.  Set aside the bigotry of ages past.  Be enlightened.  Be kind to your fellow humans.  Be tolerant.  Be loving.  Be compassionate.  Be a humanist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that