Skip to main content

Crybabies

After seeing this article pop up in my news feed, I couldn't help myself.  I simply have to write my own satirical Onion News Network-style article in response.

SALT LAKE CITY -- As the war on civil rights is posed to take one more step toward equality for all humans, bigots have resulted to whining.

"It's just not fair" says Elder Lance B. Wickman, member of the Quorum of Seventy of the LDS Church, "We used to be able to dictate how everyone should live their lives, but now it looks like we're going to have to confine ourselves to telling just the members of our own church that they can't marry someone of the same sex."

Boyd Kenneth Pack, President of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles offered his opinion as well, even though no reporter ever questioned him.  Fortunately, he has some close relatives who can translate from the language of Reformed Bigotyptian into modern English.  So, we have his translated message.  "Back in my day, we treated queers right.  We'd throw rocks at them and beat them til they were black and blue, and make real men out of them.  That taught them not to spit in the face of Heavenly Father's plan.  But now?   Now we have to treat these sexual deviants like they're actually people?  We have to buy the same gas as them and drive on the same roads as them?  It's inhuman.  I'm suffocating from the intolerance of others.  I'm a victim of religious persecution.  This just isn't right."

Elder Dallin H. Oaks, a member of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles, agreed wholeheartedly with his colleagues.  "What we're seeing here is an erosion of the ability of churches to push their morals onto everyone else.  See, we don't want gay people to marry each other.  Because we don't like it.  And it's icky.  So, we don't think that gay people who don't belong to our church should be able to marry each other either.  Even though they don't believe in our doctrine.  It's just not right that the liberal courts are siding with the satanists.  If gay people are allowed to marry each other in courthouses, then they'll force us to marry them in our sacred temples.  Just like we're currently force to marry atheists in our sacred temples."

Thomas Spencer Monson, President of the LDS Church, was unavailable for comment on the matter.  He was sharing some shortbread cookies with a widow at the time.  An attempt was also made to ask President Uchtdorf, a counselor to Monson, who said only "Airplanes."  We are unsure how to interpret this comment, but assume it has something to do with gay people not deserving the right to marry while aboard commercial jets.

Wait.  This just in.  Apparently, this isn't really a case of religious persecution at all.  It's just that for the first time in history, people are starting to actually criticize religious beliefs.  And if there's one thing religious leaders don't like, it's criticism.  Gay people gaining rights doesn't mean that religious people lose rights.  It just means that they lose the power to restrict the rights of others.  I guess we shouldn't publish this story after all.  Too late now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that