Skip to main content

Political churches

Four days ago, a group of churches filed a brief for the Supreme Court concerning the Prop 8 case, which will be heard next month.  Those churches/church groups are as follows.

  • National Association of Evangelicals
  • The Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention
  • The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
  • The Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America
  • The Romanian-American Evangelical Alliance of North America
  • Truth in Action Ministries
The first striking irony to me is the fact that the LDS church recently established this website which was constructed with the main purpose of giving the illusion that the church is reaching out to LGBT persons in love.  The fact that they filed this brief, in conjunction with other churches, shows that their outreach is insincere.  They want to be seen as friendly toward gay people but behind the scenes will continue to do whatever they can to fight against rights for gay people.  

I must say, it is good to see Evangelicals, Baptists, and Mormons all getting along rather than cat-fighting with each other for a change, but it's sad that it takes something as sinister as fighting against people's rights in order to bring about such a coalition.

Since the word "brief" is a blatant falsehood, I don't expect many of you to read through the document linked above.  I'll quote parts of it here and give my own rebuttals.  

"Honest debate among reasonable people of goodwill explains why California voters adopted Proposition 8." (page 2)

Then the same thing will explain why Maine, Maryland, and Washington voters adopted laws to legalize gay marriage. If you want to appeal to the voice of the people in the case of Prop 8, you need to do so in the case of these three states as well.

"no law is invalid simply because it happens to coincide with particular religious beliefs." (page 3)

That's true. But the ruling where Prop 8 was found to be unconstitutional did not base its decision on the fact that it coincided with any particular religious beliefs. It was found to be unconstitutional because it took away rights from a group of people that previously held those rights without a rational justification for doing so. The Fourteenth Amendment states
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Therefore, abridging the rights of gay people which were currently allowed to marry is a violation of the US Constitution. It has nothing to do with religious belief.

On pages 4 and 5 they admit that their only concern is the use of the word "marriage".  They state "we and many other religious organizations generally had supported, or at least refrained from opposing, the expansion of legal rights for same-sex couples in California, including their formal recognition as domestic partnerships."  In other words, they're okay with gay couples having the same legal rights as straight couples, and they're okay with the government officially recognizing these relationships, their only issue is using the word "marriage" to describe these relationships.

What's wrong with same-sex couples settling for "domestic partnership" or "civil union"?  Well, I reflect the question back to the religious.  What's wrong with same-sex couples using the same word to describe their relationships as you use to describe yours?  What is the difference?  My relationship with Conrad is built upon love, just as most straight couples' relationships are.  My relationship with Conrad is defined by the commitment that we feel for each other, just as most straight relationships.  Where is the fundamental difference?  I am in love with another human being--a consenting adult--and he is in love with me.  We long for each other, we value and serve each other.  We support and respect each other.  What more do we need in order to be worthy of the use of this word "marriage" whose use you so strongly wish to deny us?

"In fact, our support for Proposition 8 rested on the very supposition brushed aside by the court of appeals--we 'intended only to disapprove of same-sex marriage, rather than to pass judgment on the same-sex couples as people.'" (page 7)

Let's use this same argument on a separate issue to see how well-reasoned it is.  Indeed, consider that the issue at hand is whether the Mormon church should be allowed to exist or should be outlawed.  I will restate the quote above in the context of a person proposing to outlaw the LDS church (or any specific religion).  "In fact, our support of [measure to ban said church] rested on the supposition that we intended only to disapprove of the religion itself, rather than to pass judgment on the people who believe in the religion as people."  This is nonsense.  To make an act illegal is to judge against people who commit it.  And in this section they also argue that they're not trying to fight against gays' civil rights.  But in the case Loving v Virginia in 1967, the Supreme Court declared that "Marriage is one of the 'basic civil rights of man,' fundamental to our very existence and survival."  Therefore, trying to deny the right to marry is denying civil rights to gay people.

"Our faiths uphold the virtues of marriage and family life through teachings that seldom mention homosexuality." (page 7)

This one is simply a blatant lie.  A search for the term "homosexuality" on LDS.org renders 227 hits.  That doesn't seem very "seldom" to me.  Elder Boyd K. Packer gave a speech at BYU that was nearly an hour long and the entire speech was about homosexuality, talking about it being a sexual perversion.  The book The Miracle of Forgiveness uses similar language when talking about homosexuals as "perverts".  This book was published by the church-owned company Deseret Book and was required reading for all missionaries for years.  It even goes so far as to say that homosexuality is caused by masturbation, which leads to mutual masturbation with other persons of the same sex and then into "full blown homosexuality".  The topic of homosexuality is something which the LDS church, and nearly all Fundamentalist Christian churches, teach frequently, not "seldom".

Perhaps at a later date I will go through the remainder of this document (I like to keep my posts from getting too long).  But, I will address in general the argument given that opposition of gay marriage is really just an affirmation of "traditional marriage".  The key flaw in that argument is that legalization of gay marriage does not preclude the existence of straight marriage.  Men and women are still able to marry each other in jurisdictions where gay marriage has been legalized.  Those who wish to marry someone of the opposite sex rather than someone of the same sex are still capable of doing so.  In no location has this been violated.  Straight people can still marry.  Churches can still perform their "traditional marriages".  And contrary to some outrageous claims of some opponents of marriage equality, there has never been a case where a church has been forced to perform a gay marriage against its will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that