Skip to main content

Like a child at home

There would I find a welcome rest,
While others go and come;
No more a stranger, nor a guest,
But like a child at home.
Regretfully, I must admit that I have said many unfortunate things about pets and their owners.  Having many people around me who have spoken with disdain about animals, I have developed an attitude of disinterest toward non-human life forms.  Many of the things I have said from time to have have been in jest, but many have been in earnest.

My boyfriend has been very good for me.  He has a very tender heart and a soft spot for animals.  He is kind to even the smallest creatures, and he feels sincere pain when he witnesses animal cruelty.  His heart holds so much room for his four-legged fellow Earthlings.

When I was a child, we had a dog and a cat.  I loved them, as much as an 8-year old is capable of loving an animal.  I was so distraught at the loss of our dog that I wrote a book about it entitled "I used to have a dog".  One time when there was a book fair in our school, I purchased a poster with a kitten on it and hung it in my bedroom for years.  I loved cats and thought they were so cute.

Around the time Karen passed away, I had several people suggest that I get a dog.  This was actually quite offensive to me because to me a pet is no replacement for a spouse.  On many occasions this suggestion was made, with the implication that a pet can serve as a child.  I was affronted.  I was aghast.  Why would someone think that an animal could fill the hole in my heart left by a missing spouse or child?

Conrad has had dogs his whole life.  He loves dogs.  He and I have talked about it and I have told him that I would only allow a pet under specific conditions.  I would want it to be a strictly outside animal, I would want it only if I had a child who wanted the pet and was willing and able to care for it without assistance or supervision.  Conrad seemed content to abide by these guidelines.

Today, we happened to go to a puppy store.  It was adjacent to a game store that we went to which had actually gone out of business.  We went inside the pet store and Conrad saw a crib with three Collies that he instantly fell in love with.  I could see the joy in his eyes, and the love in his heart.  But something else happened as well.  I saw animals in cages.  I don't think animals should be in cages.  I think that it is cruel to them.  They need space to run around and expend their energy.  We went to an animal shelter after the puppy store and it was painful to see all the dogs caged up with very little room to move about.  I cried.  I shed tears at the sight.

I knew that it would mean a lot to my man if he were to have a pet.  I knew that he would be excited to have a dog.  I also knew that I wanted to free all of the dogs from their cages.  I wanted all of them to run around in the open and enjoy life, rather than lying around in cages (which hadn't been cleaned in a while) and looking rather depressed.

We asked to spend some time with one particular lab (mix) puppy.  He was so scared when he was brought into the room, he was visibly shaking.  He hesitantly approached us, but was shivering as he did.  Conrad got down on the floor, to be at eye level, and comforted the dog.  Eventually, he got onto Conrad's lap and started wagging his little tail.  Conrad was so happy.  And I wanted him to be that happy every day.  I loved seeing him smile like that and play with the little puppy.

We signed the papers, paid the money, and scheduled the time for the dog to have its necessary medical procedures before being released from the shelter.  We will have a dog by Tuesday.  He will live inside because we do not have a fenced yard for him to be contained in.  He will be cared for with love and kindness.  He will be our canine child.

Comments

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that