Skip to main content

GSAs are good

Kevin Jennings started one of the first gay-straight alliances in 1988 in Concord, Massachusetts.  Two years later, he established the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN).  They currently have over 3600 gay-straight alliance registered throughout the country.

So, what's so great about GSAs?  GSAs succeed because of the simple fact that humans understand other humans best when they interact in person, on a personal level.  A school with a GSA can be a safe haven for an LGBT youth.  A gay person can go to the GSA to find support and acceptance.  A straight person can go to learn more about gay people and understand them better.  An alliance is formed.  Where two groups of people were previously at war (or, rather, one group bullying the other), they are now at peace, hugging each other and experiencing mutual understanding.  Those who fear homosexuality can learn about it and resolve those fears.

This is an idea that I think we need to incorporate much much more into society.  Yes, we need to have gay-straight alliances.  But we also need to have democrat-republican alliances.  We need to have teenager-adult alliances, skater-cowboy alliances, fat-skinny alliances, masculine-feminine alliances, and so many more.  Think how political discussion would be different if we had a democrat-republican alliance in every town, where people of differing political views got together in love and mutual respect to discuss the issues at hand.  Politics would no longer be a forbidden topic in polite conversation.  People would be able to discuss their feelings without becoming angry or feeling a need to coerce the other person into agreeing with them.

What if we had a smoker/non-smoker alliance?  People could come and express their feelings about wanting to be able to smoke but having so many laws which restrict their freedom to do so, and others could talk about their concerns with being able to breathe clean air.  What if in every facet of life we placed empathy for other human beings above our own personal opinions, or above our need to be "right".

What if there was a safe haven for overweight people, where they could discuss their insecurities about how they look and have their voices heard by loving, respectful peers?  People who tease them could start to understand what kind of damage they do to others when they make those kinds of comments.  We might see a significant decline in eating disorders.

What if we had theist-atheist alliances, where believers could discuss their feelings about being ridiculed and skeptics could raise their concerns about the harms that dogmatic religions often cause?

What happens all too often is that people of differing views each shout more loudly and say harsher and harsher things about the other party.  What if we focused instead on understanding the other party?  What if we took some time to imagine what the other person is going through, and how they feel?  I believe that forming alliances, such as gay-straight alliances, is a far better approach than crusading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that