Skip to main content

Ebb and flow of friendship

When I first came out, I anticipated people no longer wanting to be friends with me--either in the real sense of the word, or in the Facebook sense (or both).  At that time, I stated "I will not harbor any ill feelings against you and if you ever decide to change your mind and befriend me again, I will welcome your friendship with open arms and a happy heart."  And that is still how I feel.

Over the last year and a half, I have had many people unfriend me.  In fact, I'd estimate around 100.  But, also during that time (especially over the last month or so), I have had several people re-friend me. I imagine some people were simply upset at something I said--perhaps something anti-religious or anti-Mormon--and unfriended me in anger, but then later calmed down and decided to forgive me.  I'm grateful for the forgiveness of others.  And I never mean to offend people, even when I say something that I know many will interpret as offensive.  I imagine other people unfriended me because they didn't know exactly how to process the information that I'm gay--they didn't know exactly how they felt about homosexuality, perhaps they had never given it much thought before--and they needed time to think about it before seeing me as a friend.  At any rate, for whatever reason, I am truly happy to see people re-friend me.  I like seeing old friendships reforged.

I also wanted to share how unfriending and refriending affects me personally.  If I post something anti-religious (for example) and someone unfriends because of that, my immediate impulse is to post something even more strongly anti-religious.  Why?  I don't know.  It doesn't exactly seem logical to me.  But, that's the impulse that I have.  That's my immediate reaction.  That's how I feel.  On the other hand, when someone refriends me, my impulse is to post something more diplomatic.  I want to perhaps apologize for being so opinionated, or perhaps attempt to build bridges.  Again, whether that's logical or not I couldn't say, I just know it's my impulse.  My knee-jerk reaction to being refriended.

Of all the people that have refriended me, I have always been happy to see their friend request, and I have always immediately and gladly accepted.  I cannot hold a grudge for the time lost wherein we could have been friends but weren't.  There's already been that loss of time, and I don't want to make it any longer than it was.  I want to be friends with anyone who will befriend me.  I want to make peace, not war.  I want all of my friends to know that I am grateful for them being my friends.  I am grateful for the society of all of my acquaintances, including all of my Facebook friends that I have never met in real life, and especially all of my close friends and family members.  There are many more dear friends from whom I am anxiously waiting to hear.  Each person who refriends me after having unfriended me gives me renewed hope for the trend to continue--for these dear friends to want to be part of my life again.

Comments

  1. I've never been into Facebook enough to understand all the psychological games people play with friending and status updates. I hear about it all the time but I have never understood why people take it so seriously in these matters. But, I will admit it is very popular and very interesting.

    As for knee-jerk reactions. You are not the only one who can be overly impulsive... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually don't act on those impulses. Sometimes, but not often. I'm more impulsive when I'm in a debate with someone, but in the cases I mentioned, I'm far less likely to act on the impulses I have. I just wanted to share what my impulses were.

    I don't think of Facebook as any different from other human interaction. I think people play the same psychological games in real life. One difference is that I think people are more aggressive and expressive on the Internet, but that's any online interaction, not just Facebook. Also, I do try to remember that people can be real-life friends with me and still unfriend me on Facebook. And people like you, who don't have Facebook accounts, can still be good friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that