Skip to main content

FF7

I almost never click on online ads.  Ever.  But, every once in a while one will catch my eye.  Such was the case with an ad the other day that popped up on my Facebook account.  It was an ad for the PC version of Final Fantasy 7.  In my personal opinion, that is the single best RPG I have ever played in my life.  There are many reasons for this.  The story line was rich, the characters had depth, the love was poignant.  I cried every time I got to the part where Aeris dies.  In fact, I would save the game right before that scene so that I could go back and watch it whenever I wanted to have a good cry.  I would also save right before she leaves your party, so I could go back and play her some more, just for fun.

Anyhow, I went there and saw that they had redone the game for the PC.  I'm not a computer science guy, and I really don't know what they changed "under the hood", but they did say that they made it up-to-date with the latest software and hardware--whatever that means.  As the end user, the main differences I've noticed (so far) is just that they slightly increased the resolution of the character sprites, and a few other things as well (save points, treasure chests, etc).  It seems that they have left the scenery the same as it was before, which makes it look kind of silly in contrast with the nicer character sprites.  They've also made it so you have to log in to play.  It saves your game saves on the server--theoretically, so that you can pick up from where you left off on another computer, but do you really play your games on multiple machines?  Also, on your online account, you can view all of your saves and, optionally, max out the stats and gold for any one of the files.  I like that because I sometimes like to use cheat codes in order to rush through a game real fast.

After having played it for roughly an hour, I would not say that it's necessarily worth the $10, if you already have the game in some other form.  However, I don't mind.  The main reason I bought it is because I've been wanting for years now for Square-Enix to completely redo the game, with up-to-date graphics.  (The game originally came out in 97 with crude PS1 graphics--the characters' hands are cubes, they have no mouths, their polygon count is visibly low.)  It may be futile, but I figure if a bunch of people buy the game it might send the message to Squeenix that they really need to remake this game.  I'm convinced that they'd make good money off it and it would be worth the investment.  I'm not sure that I'll play all the way to the end of this particular version that I bought because, to me at least, it's too similar to the original, which I've already beaten umpteen times, always maxing out my materia and getting the best possible gold chocobo.  And, spell check, you really need to learn the words "materia" and "chocobo".  Honestly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that