Skip to main content

Freedom II

As I was watching the fireworks Wednesday night, with my dear boyfriend and a couple friends, I had a very happy feeling.  It was like an epiphany.  If the phrase "to each his own" could become an emotion, that was the emotion that I was feeling.

What is so amazing about the concept of freedom?  Why is liberty so wonderful?  Because each person has different likes and dislikes.  Each person has eir own opinions and beliefs.  To make everyone fit one particular mold would be oppression.  To maximize happiness for each individual and for the community in general, it's best to let every person follow eir own heart.

I am very vocal about my opinions and very passionate in expressing them.  I debate endlessly with people, and more often than not the debate becomes personal and emotional.  I might become extremely angry with someone who disagrees with me.  But, the fact of the matter is, I really don't mind people who are different.  I am not in the least bit bothered by any of my family or friends who live faithful to the LDS church and believe any or all of its precepts.  I don't see any reason that they need to stop any of that.

I am not disturbed or distraught by people who wish to live their life differently than how I live mine.  I see nothing wrong with straight people marrying each other.  I see nothing wrong with people living together without marrying.  I have no problem with couples where one person is gay and the other is straight, but yet they remain married.  If that's how they want to live their life, who am I to say they shouldn't?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that