Skip to main content

The Fear of Opposition


I came across this video on my Facebook newsfeed.  As far as the main thrust of the guy's speech, I'd say that he's making a mountain out of a molehill.  I don't believe that personalized ads or search results are even remotely dangerous.

One thing he talked about did pique my interest, though, and that was when he pointed out that Facebook started filtering out his conservative friends from his newsfeed simply because he clicked on his liberal friends' profiles more often.  I've known that Facebook's been doing this for a while--I'm not certain exactly how long that's been, but it's never bothered me either.

However, it did make me think about why that is the case.  Obviously, part of the reason is that Facebook's just trying to make it easier to find the things you're more interested in and filter out the things that you're less likely to be interested in.  In my opinion, that's not necessarily a bad thing.  What I do think is bad, though, is that we do this as humans.  We did it before the internet ever came out, and I'm sure that we've done it for pretty much all of the history of our race.

I've noticed that as I came out of the closet and started posting more gay-related things on my wall, dozens of my old friends (and family) unfriended me, blocked me, or simply removed my items from ever appearing in their newsfeed.  They don't like the things I'm posting (for whatever reason) and therefore, they avoid them.  Interestingly enough, many of the people who have unfriended me have sent me an email explaining that they did so, and why they did so, and still considered me to be a good friend and a good person in real life, but simply didn't want to be reading my posts anymore.

I think this is very dangerous.  This may very well be one of the things causing these filterings that this guy is talking about.  People don't like to talk to someone who disagrees with them.  People don't like confrontation (or, they do like confrontation, but only for the sake of fighting, not for the sake of actually holding an intellectual discussion).  I know I'm guilty of this myself.  I often avoid clicking on links that people post that are about things that I don't believe or agree with.  I think it's very much a part of human nature.

We don't like to socialize with people that disagree.  We view such people as enemies, contending against us on something that we believe.  This is unfortunate, and dangerous.  It causes people with a certain mindset to become more solidified in that mindset because they only want to socialize with people who have the same mindset.

For example, Mormons like to socialize with other Mormons.  They home teach each other, they do activities together, talk at church, invite each other over for dinner.  But, they don't branch out of that social circle as much as they should.  I remember when I was at an activity with all Mormon people, we talked about this very thing.  Many of them there were saying that they have very few or even no friends who were not Mormon that they regularly socialized with.  Of course, they knew dozens and likely hundreds of people who were not Mormon, but they didn't go drinking with them, they didn't go to their parties, didn't invite them to their own parties, et cetera.

The same is true for liberals and conservatives.  Liberals like socializing with other liberals and conservatives with conservatives.  You tell a liberal that you're conservative and ey're liable to dislike you (or at least not choose to be around you during leisure time).  People simply prefer the company of those they identify with.  I mean, it's definitely true that you need something in common with someone in order to motivate having a friendship with them.  But, to avoid any discussion with a person simply because they don't agree with you seems like a drastic overreaction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that