Skip to main content

Just because it's you

As I was fixing myself a bowl of ramen today, I thought of how Karen always had an aversion to ramen--unless I made it.  (The funniest things can trigger the most obscure memories, can't they.)  When we were first married, I remember talking about how much I loved ramen and that I could eat it all the time (and it's so cheap too), and she said that she thought it was gross and preferred her own cooking.  (I prefer home cooking too, but ramen is so convenient and cheap.)  Anyway, one time I made some ramen for myself and Karen wanted to take a bite, so she did--and ended up finishing the bowl for me.  Then a few days later, she made a bowl for herself, took one bite, and didn't want the rest (she's anything but a picky eater, so it was a complete shock that she didn't finish it).  When asked about the difference, she said that she liked the way I made ramen better.

I would notice that over the three years we were married, it seemed as though the food on my plate was more attractive to her than the food on her own plate--even when it was the exact same food.  I didn't mind at all, because that meant that I could finish off her plate of food.  But, I did find the phenomenon completely perplexing.  How was my food any better than her food?  Was it really possible that I was more skilled at microwaving ramen noodles than she was?  Something didn't make sense.

That is, it didn't make sense until now.  Now I can understand what it was that made Karen enjoy my food more than her own.  She was infatuated with me--as every person should be with their spouse.  I now know what it is like to be in love with someone and infatuated with them at the same time.  I love watching Conrad eat.  I get the strangest pleasure from seeing it.  I would probably have never played Pokemon ever in my entire life, but the fact that Conrad plays makes me like the game.  When he first moved in, he gave me two of his games to play and I played them for hours at a time, sincerely enjoying them--but not because they are games that I would have independently found enjoyable, but because they were games that Conrad liked.

I love wearing Conrad's shoes (they're the only apparel we can share because he weighs less than half of what I weigh).  I have my own sandals and my own shoes, but his are more fun to wear because they're his.  Every once in a while, just around the house, I'll put on one of his shirts.  Of course, it almost bursts at the seams when I do, but it's fun just to wear his clothes.  And it makes him smile.  When he's at work and I'm home, I stare at the clock willing it to go faster so that he can be home with me.  On days when I'm supposed to stay late at school for a seminar and he's home because it's his day off, I find it difficult to stay at school, so I just go home so I can see him.

The yearning to please him, to be with him, to make him smile and be happy, is stronger than pretty much any emotion I have ever felt.  What makes being with him so amazing?  Nothing, other than the fact that it's him.  What makes watching him eat so thrilling?  Nothing--I get no similar pleasure from watching anyone else eat--it's just because it's him.  What makes wearing his shoes so fun?  Nothing, other than the fact that they're his shoes.  I have no desire to wear anyone else's clothes or play anyone else's videogames.  All of these feelings I have revolving around doing things with Conrad are solely because I am infatuated with him.  He lights up my eye and brings a spring to my step.  In my own opinion, everyone deserves to have someone that makes them this happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that