Skip to main content

Faithless courage


I've seen this video going around Facebook, so I thought I'd share my thoughts about it.  Nelson talks about how his faith helps him handle difficulties.  That's great.  That's wonderful.  People who find strength or support in their own faith, go ahead and have that faith.  If it helps you through hard times, that's excellent.  I have no problem with that at all, in fact I think it's good.  Do or believe whatever you need in order to get through the hard times in life.

But, Nelson takes a condescending tone throughout much of the video.  He implies that anyone without faith, without a belief in Christ, is fearful.  Yes, there are lots of fearful people out there.  But, there are just as many religious people who are scared as there are irreligious people.  And, I would be willing to bet that the woman on the plane who was hysterical was also a Christian.  I don't think believing or not believing in a certain deity will make one more or less likely to have panic attacks in stressful situations, such as impending death.

I don't have any faith, but I am also not afraid to die.  I can't word it as Nelson does (that I'm ready to meet my maker) because I don't believe that anything awaits me after this life.  I don't believe I have a maker to meet.  But, I do not fear death.  If I were facing impending death, I would not panic.  I would be calm and collected, just as Nelson describes himself being.  Nelson says that we need an eternal perspective, but I think all I need is a long-term perspective.  I live my life the best that I can, and so if I were to die now, I'd be content, knowing that I did my best in life and left the world a better place than I found it.

I believe in continually improving myself.  I don't delude myself by thinking that I'll ever be perfect, but I know that it's quite possible for me to continue to be better, and that is one of my goals.  I want to be a better teacher, a better boyfriend to Conrad, a better friend to all who know me.  I don't need to rely on an imaginary being for strength to overcome trials or to help me be a better person.  I have within me the power to improve myself, and I have friends and family who can help me through hard times, when I need that help.  I don't think it's the gospel of Jesus Christ that grants that help and support, I think it's true love--loving parents, loving siblings, loving friends, and a loving spouse.

If faith were necessary to have hope in life, to improve oneself, to get through hard times, then irreligious folk wouldn't live very long.  It doesn't stand to reason to claim that faith is necessary in order to face the future with confidence.  It might help you.  It may make certain things in your life easier, if you believe that there is a deity somewhere in existence who is watching over you and protecting you.  And to claim that your faith helps you in hard times is perfectly acceptable.  But to claim that those who do not have faith cannot have such peace of mind is a fallacy.  An analogy would be that you get nutrients from eating an apple every morning and that it gives your body vitamins that it needs.  You can go ahead and assert that your body benefits from the nutrients in the apple, but to say that all people must eat apples in order to gain those same benefits is flawed, since there are many other sources whence those vitamins can be obtained.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that