Skip to main content

Americans over-democratic?

I think Americans get over-excited about their right to vote on things.  This spirit of democracy floats around so strongly that sometimes it's quite scary.  (Interestingly enough, most people don't even know definitions well enough to realize that America is not a democracy, but that's not the point of this post.)

So, I just came across one of the many polls on Facebook concerning mathematics.  These always make me laugh because it seems as though people believe that the truth can actually be voted on.  So, if enough people vote that 1+1=3, then it can be true.  I think part of this is that people don't like math, part is that they don't understand it, and part is because they want it to be easier than it really is.

So, here was the question on the poll "5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 x 0 = ?".  This is a very simple question.  Anyone with a third-grade education should be able to answer properly.  The order of operations states that multiplication is to be carried out prior to addition/subtraction.  Therefore, the correct answer 15.  What do the poll results show?  Here is a list of the answers given, together with the total number who have (thus far) responded with that answer.

AnswerNumber of votes
204,671
065,542
401,493
1545,818
So, there were a total of 117,524 that have answered so far and less than 40% were able to answer correctly. Now, this is a simple arithmetic question. In fact, if one were to type this into just about any calculator, the calculator would yield the correct answer of 15. The one exception is the kind of calculators which act like adding machines, in which case, if the buttons were pressed in the order that appear in the expression, the answer would be 0 because it would actually be calculating (5+5+5-5+5+5-5+5)x0, which is very different from the expression given in the poll question.

As you might guess, to a math instructor this type of mathematical incompetence running so rampant in society is actually quite infuriating. It wouldn't bother me if it was a calculus question and no one could get it right, but when less than 2 fifths of the people who answer know the right answer to a simple arithmetic question, I find it difficult not to completely lose all faith in society. (As an aside, I wouldn't be surprised if I found a significant portion of those who answered the question didn't know what 2 fifths meant.)

But, the fact that people can't do math isn't the real issue here. The issue is that people think that they can just vote on what the truth should be. The correct answer is 15, even though a majority of people (over 55%) voted for 0. 0 is incorrect, and 55% of people voting that that should be the answer does not change the fact that it is incorrect. Truth is truth and can't be changed by ignorant people.

If enough people say that god exists, then he exists.  If people vote to say that gay marriage is immoral, then it is immoral.  If the enslavement of an entire race of people is voted into legality, then it is acceptable--and not only acceptable, but permissibile by the imaginary god that the people have invented. Call me crazy, call me whatever you like, but I think that truth is absolute and cannot be changed by democracy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that