Skip to main content

Same-sex marriage and human fulfillment: a rebuttal

I'm a debater.  I like debating.  Ask anyone that knew me at any point of my public education career.  I was on the debate team in high school.  I have made much progress in moving from the immature mindset of arguing with anyone about anything (even when I am made to argue against the position that I personally hold) to the slightly more mature stage of only arguing things that I feel strongly about.  Also, I try not to make it a personal thing anymore, allowing emotions to take a large part of the debate, but to argue the points themselves and use mostly logic rather than sensation to debate.

At any rate, a friend of mine posted this article on Facebook today.  I read it and would like to post my rebuttal here.

First off, the author states that "It is a mistake, however, to think that the same-sex marriage movement is aimed primarily at acquiring the material benefits and legal prerogatives that accompany publicly recognized marriage. The aim, rather, is equality of public recognition or approval." and uses as evidence to support this claim the fight in California over Proposition 8.  In California, gay couples in domestic partnerships have all of the same legal right and benefits that straight couples in marriages have (I have to admit here that I have not done my due diligence in the matter to ascertain whether this claim is true, but even if it is not true, I will concede the point for the sake of this argument).  Therefore, since no legal benefit is to be gained by allowing same-sex marriage in California, gay rights activists can only be after equality of recognition.  This argument makes the hasty generalization that since this is the case in California that therefore it is the motivation for all activists and for the effort being made in all states.  It is also quite possible that it is only some of the activists in some states, such as California, that have this as their main motivation.  In many states, laws such as those that exist in California are not in force and therefore pushing to have the same legal rights and privileges would then become part of the push for legalizing gay marriage.

The next issue that I would like to rebut is what I feel is the main argument in this article.  The author points out that the statement "homosexual activity is contrary to the natural law" is either true or it is false. If it is true, then making homosexual marriage have equal recognition with heterosexual marriage only damages society by recognizing something that is in fact immoral. If it is false, then equal recognition of homosexual marriage contributes nothing to a same-sex couple, since happiness comes not by social recognition nor appearance, but rather by obedience to natural law. The issue that I have with this is not the logic (since this logic is sound), but with the author's conclusion. The author concludes from this argument that therefore efforts to legalize gay marriage are fruitless. I propose a more logical conclusion.

The same argument applies to heterosexual marriage. Let us repeat the argument with "homosexual" or "gay" replaced by "heterosexual" in every occurrence. That is, the statement "heterosexual activity is contrary to the natural law" is either true or false. (I am completely willing to concede that this statement is false, but for the sake of parallelism I will consider both cases.) If it is true, then social recognition of heterosexual marriage (which is what we have now) does nothing but damage society by recognizing something that is in fact immoral. If it is false, then socially recognizing heterosexual marriage (as it is currently recognized) is meaningless, since happiness comes not by social recognition but rather by obedience to natural law. Therefore, it should also be concluded that social recognition of heterosexual marriage is meaningless. So, the conclusion should be that marriage itself is meaningless--if a couple wish to join together in commitment and dedication, they should do so without any worry of what society thinks of them, but rather be content in knowing that each partner is dedicated to the other.

So, if the argument in this article against the quest for equal social recognition for homosexual marriage is to be accepted, then the same argument for heterosexual marriage must also be accepted and therefore marriage should be deprecated.

Comments

  1. I'm the friend in question, and I'm a reluctant recruit in the culture war. Still, I feel it's my duty to stand and try to clarify the issue, not in hopes of converting those on the other side, but in hopes of strengthening those on my side.

    I can point to one flaw in the reasoning, and that is that societies and individuals both benefit from following the natural law. Traditional marriage, which establishes a stable home with gender-diverse parents is a clear, proven benefit to society, and it is in the interests of society to uphold it.

    You may argue that homosexual relationships are of equal value, and should be sanctioned and celebrated by society. That we could debate separately; you know that my position is that homosexual behavior violates the natural law, deprives children of their rights to be raised by their natural parents, and is destructive to those who participate in it.

    You're correct in your final point; as an individual, my marriage does not need society's sanction to have value, and I fear that the end of the sexual revolution may be no secular recognition of marriage in any form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that there is benefit to society for encouraging not only same-sex relationships, but also stability in those relationships. Hence, the benefits on society of encouraging (heterosexual) marriages that last are quite obvious--or at least, the fact that there are benefits is obvious. I also agree that the benefits on society of same-sex relationships, if any exist at all, are less obvious and would be more difficult to evidence. However, that is a different matter for a different discussion. The article in question doesn't so much as touch on that matter. It discusses only the benefit on a specific relationship of recognizing that particular relationship equally with a different type of relationship (in particular, recognizing gay couples as equal with straight couples). Insofar as that argument is concerned, the same logic applies to any individual relationship regardless of the genders of its constituents. 

    On the other hand, rather than requiring the benefit of proof go lie on gay rights activists to show that there is societal benefit in allowing gay marriages to be recognized as equal with straight marriage, why not require that opponents of gay marriage provide evidence of the benefits on society of banning gay marriages, or at least denying them equal recognition with straight marriages?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that