Skip to main content

The non-response (clarification)

Last week I wrote the post entitled The non-response, and have since received some messages from cousins. I am always glad to hear from people, but the nature of the email led me to believe that I should clarify what the purpose of that earlier blog post was.

In that post, I stated that I like to get replies from people (in particular, I had emails in mind, but other modes of communication as well). I was speaking specifically of people who have emailed me, I have emailed back, and have since not heard back from them. But, at any rate, I did not mean for that post to be accusatory in any way. I do not have any hard feelings toward anyone about that. I don't mean to call anyone out or express indignation or abandonment at being ignored. The main reason for the post was just to inform people that I would like to hear back from you. That is, if the reason you haven't sent a reply to me is because you're worried that I don't want to read it, you can allay that fear.

The other purpose was just to state that when I don't get a reply, I start to have insecurities about it--I start to wonder if I've done something wrong or if you don't like me anymore, etc. That's just another way of saying that you can go ahead and reply if what's holding you back is the fact that you're not sure whether I want to hear back from you.

Also, I suppose one last reason for that post was just to muse over the several different reasons why a person would refrain from replying to a message. Humans are very complex and human psychology is quite fascinating to me. So, I mused over what would make someone feel like they could/should not reply to a message they had received (in particular about me being gay, but more generally as well).

So, I do apologize to anyone whom I've made to feel as though you've hurt me by not emailing me. That was certainly not my intent. If I haven't emailed you personally to begin with, then I'm not expecting a response. In those cases, perhaps the tables would be turned and I actually owe you an email. Anyway, I do appreciate the people who have emailed me in reply to my earlier post and I apologize for the confusion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that