Skip to main content

As the angels of God in Heaven

Many people have asked me questions regarding what I believe will happen in the next life concerning my marriage to Karen and my impending marriage to Conrad. Usually, the wording is something to the effects of "Do you think you'll still be married to Karen?" or "Do you think that you'll want to be married to Karen or Conrad?" etc. I have thought a lot about this matter, and the more I have thought about it, the more it reminds me of a story from the Bible.

There were a group of Sadducees who came to Jesus and asked a similar question. They proposed a scenario where a woman marries a man and upon his death, she marries the next brother, until all seven brothers had died and she had married them all. Then they asked whose wife she would be in the resurrection. (Ironically, the Sadducees didn't even believe in the resurrection.) The reply Jesus gave probably took them completely by surprise. He told them that "in the resurrection, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in Heaven." (Matt 22:30) He then went on to say that God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. So, I have arrived at the conclusion that whatever is to happen in the next life concerning me, Karen, and Conrad, God will oversee it and all will be well.

As for what I will do in this life, I feel no reservation with going forward with my decision to marry Conrad. I have decided to do as Jesus instructed in the Sermon on the Mount, "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." (Matt 6:34) So, in the next life I will worry about what will happen concerning my marital status. Until that time comes, I will live my life as God directs me to do.

Comments

  1. You explain it so plain and simple, I don't see how anyone could be confused by all of this. One quick question (if you don't feel comfortable answering, just tell me to bug off!): What will happen to your status as a member of the church? Will you have your name removed, or let them excommunicate you if they decide to have a court? Do you plan to continue attending/participating in church with your husband? BTW I'm a cultural Mormon so I really don't believe (or subject) to church policy or doctrine--I'll have my name removed by the end of the summer--Just curious what you expect might happen--make it a post? :-)
    Hugs,Miguel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good questions, Miguel. I'll probably write that up in a post and post it on here sometime in the near future. For now, I'll just answer part of the question. Conrad and I have talked about attending church together. We would like to hold hands and put arms around each other. Since we both feel like that would be inappropriate in a Mormon church, we would likely not attend the LDS church together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that