Skip to main content

What's a Mormon?

This is something I've actually been thinking about quite a bit lately.  I've been Mormon my whole life, but what that has meant to me has changed somewhat over the years, particularly over this last little while.  So, I will talk about what being Mormon means to me.

At the simplest level, a Mormon is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  As a member of that church, a Mormon is a Christian.  A Mormon believes in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, as the Savior of the World, and as their own personal Redeemer.  A Mormon views all of the humans on the Earth as brothers and sisters, since we are all children of God.  We have a loving Heavenly Father who watches over us with great concern.  When we do good, He is happy, and when we do ill, He is unhappy.

A Mormon is someone who seeks truth wherever it is to be found.  In our church, we believe the Bible to be the word of God.  We also have three other books of canonized scripture.  We have the Book of Mormon (where the nickname Mormon came from), which is similar to the Bible in the sense that it is ancient scripture written by prophets of God long ago.  We also have the Doctrine and Covenants, which is a book of modern revelations given to prophets in our day, over the last 200 years.  We believe in science--every branch of science.  We believe that God reveals truths, such as science, to men in order to help us progress and become a more advanced and civilized society.  We are encouraged to seek education and to use that education to contribute to society.  I personally enjoy learning all that I can.  I feel a deep satisfaction in learning new things, in discovering how things work.

The best answer I could give for the question "What do Mormons believe?" is "We believe all that is true."  If it is true that 1+1=2, then we believe that.  If quantum mechanics is true, then we believe that too.  If it is true that God created the earth in 6 days, we believe that.  If it is true (and I certainly believe that it is) that Christ suffered for the sins of the world and rose again so that we could all live again, then we believe that too.  Not only are we encouraged to learn as much as possible, but we are also encouraged to discover for ourselves what is true and what is not.  Concerning theological matters, we are encouraged to pray to God and ask Him if what we are being taught is true.  We have the promise that the Holy Ghost will assure us of truth.  We will be able to feel in our hearts and in our minds that the things of truth really are true.  God wants His children to rely on Him, but also to use the ability that He has given us to think rationally.

To me, a Mormon is someone who will give you the coat off their back.  They are someone who will stay up late at night comforting you over the loss of your father or your recent breakup with your significant other.  A Mormon is someone who actually cares how you're doing.  A Mormon wants to show you how much God loves you.  They want to live their life so that others will see them and desire to be more like Christ.  They will accept you for who you are, because you are their brother or sister.  It doesn't matter what you look like, what you have done in the past, or what you are currently doing with your life--they want to lift your burdens, brighten your smile, and calm your troubled heart.  A Mormon tries in every way to be like Christ, and to do what He would want us to do.  This is what being a Mormon means to me.

Many people have said "Love the sinner, hate the sin."  Perhaps this is wise.  But, I will content myself with the first half of the sentence--"Love the sinner."  We are all sinners, and we all sin.  But I do not feel that it is necessary to inform other people that I disapprove of their behavior.  If I truly love them, then they will know what sins they are committing and they will want to repent of them on their own.  I do not need to make them feel guilty about it, nor do I need to point it out to them.  Why does love need to be qualified?  Why should I ever say to someone "I love you, but....."? (e.g., "I love you, but I don't approve of your behavior.")  Why can I not just stop at "I love you."?  Whether or not I approve of their behavior is entirely irrelevant.  If God disapproves of their behavior, then He will let them know, and since He has all wisdom and all knowledge, I will trust His judgement.  This is what being a Mormon means to me.

Comments

  1. Keith, I love this and totally agree. I hope to be the kind of Mormon you describe.

    Thanks,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written, as usual Keith. I always enjoy reading your writing. I love that you said "a mormon tries in every way to be like Christ" We are NOT perfect people, and we are all in the process of learning to be like Christ, we are not there yet. I absolutely agree that there should be no "but" after I love you. I am so grateful that I have so many people who love me with all of my shortcomings, and I don't get constantly qualified! Can I just add one thing about hating the sin? I can say that sometimes I have felt that... very strongly. I have a friend who is a recovering drug addict,I love her so much and do anything I can for her, but I watch her suffer through very difficult times. I see ongoing pain that her addiction causes her and her family, and I do hate it. I hate that she will fight this the rest of her life. I've seen others devestated by other sins (their own or someone else's) and I do hate those sins too. So I guess personally, I change the hate the sin part to say: learn about the consequences of the sin, so that you are more compassionate to the sinner, and so that you can work to avoid the sin yourself, and hate what the sin causes. Many people forget that with sins (especially addictions) that usually the biggest victim of the sin is the sinner themself.
    As always, thanks for your words. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Steve. That's what I'm striving for as well.

    And Lisa, thank you so much. That's a very good point, and definitely good to keep in mind. Compassion for the sinner wrought by hatred for the sin is a very good thing. That's what I have sisters for--to help share such good insights. Love you too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that