Skip to main content

The tree of knowledge of good and evil

I was just pondering the story of Adam and Eve last night and I had what I would call an epiphany.  I don't know whether Adam and Eve were kicked out of the Garden of Eden for physically eating a fruit (and I really have no idea why everyone thinks it was an apple), but whether they did or not, I do know that they did taste of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil--literally or figuratively.  Why did they do that?  Because it was necessary.  There is no other way for us to fill our purpose on this Earth, other than tasting good and evil and then deciding for ourselves which one we want to choose.  I taste my sister's homemade cheesecake and then I taste cheesecake from a store in order to know that I prefer my sister's cheesecake.

So, I think that each one of us, individually, must take of the fruit.  We must learn by our own personal experience (and sometimes that can be made easier and less painful by observing the experiences of others) the difference between right and wrong.  There is no other way.  We must taste the good and the bad and learn to choose the good.  I have experienced much sorrow in my life due to sins I have committed.  Would I take it away, if I were given the chance to go back and change things?  No, because I know that if I did then I would never have learned and therefore I wouldn't have been any better off than I was before.  Would I want my future self to come to me now and warn me of bad decisions I'm about to make?  No, because then my future self wouldn't be wise enough to warn me about it, and I'd rather have the wisdom.

This life is not a walk in the park.  There are difficult times and confusing times.  There are times when we make bad choices--sometimes even knowing beforehand that they are bad--and yet, all of the experiences we are given are a blessing from God.  He loves us so much that He allows us to choose for ourselves.  If He were to always force us to do right, our very purpose of existence would be nullified and the great Plan of Happiness would be undone.

I do not encourage anyone to sin.  I only encourage people to follow God.  Jesus said "Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." (Matt 4:10, KJV)  And I will do so as lovingly and compassionately as I can.  But, in doing so, I recognize that it is up to each individual to discover, in whatever way they feel best, what is right and what is wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that