Skip to main content

Forgiveness

There is a book called The Miracle of Forgiveness, written by one of the past leaders of the LDS Church, which gives many good ideas about how to repent and receive forgiveness from God.  For the longest time in my life, I always felt like the miracle of forgiveness was that after a person repents, God forgives them of their sins and remembers them no more.  While I still believe this is a wonderful and miraculous thing, I have recently arrived at the conclusion that the real miracle of forgiveness is when someone else has offended us and we are able to forgive the person fully and frankly.  

I was involved in an automobile accident on Tuesday.  I could easily have blamed the other driver for coming down the hill too quickly, or for not stopping in time and ramming my car.  I could also point the finger of blame at her for driving off after the accident, rather than waiting for the police to arrive and assess the situation.  I do not see the point in the former, since it was most likely my fault for causing the accident---I should have been more careful before pulling out of the parking lot to turn left, particularly because there were cars parked on the side of the road.  To the latter, I merely say that people are allowed to make mistakes and that I see no point in taking advantage of a person for doing it.

I was very relieved that no one was hurt in the accident.  The other car slowed down enough that the only damage to my car was that the driver-side doors were smashed in and now are unable to open.  There was no damage to my person, and as far as I could discern, none of the three passengers (including the driver) in the other car were injured either.  Since the damage to the vehicles was minimal, and there were no injuries, I praise the name of my God and give Him thanks for a mighty miracle.

Perhaps you may be thinking that it's easy for me to forgive another person when I'm really the one at fault anyway, and I'd have to agree with you.  If the roles were reversed, and a car pulled out in front of me while I was driving swiftly downhill, I might find it a bit harder to forgive the other driver.  But I have also found that in nearly every unpleasant interaction that two parties have with each other, either party has a partial blame and either party has the opportunity to become angry or ill-willed toward the other party.  I have also found that as often as I do so, my spirit becomes darkened and I distance myself from my Father in Heaven.  And as often as I choose to give the other person the benefit of the doubt, the happier I am and the more able I am to feel the love of my God, for me and for the other person who may have wronged me.

There have been a few times in my life where I truly felt that I had been taken advantage of, or that I was rather angered at another individual for a real or perceived wrong they had done me.  It has been very difficult for me to forgive these persons.  In fact, I cannot say with full confidence that I have truly forgiven them.  However, I wish to be able to.  I want to arrive at the beautiful day when I truly and sincerely harbor no ill will in my heart toward any of my dear brothers and sisters here on this Earth.  If I were able to look on a person's heart and see what God there sees, then I would be truly happy.  

And so, it is with all of my heart that I pray for the well-being of the three people in the other car that hit me the other day.  I pray that my mistake did not impact them for the worse in any great way.  I pray that any damage it did cause to them will be relatively easy and painless to resolve.  I pray that in the future I will be more careful while driving, to avoid any future wrecks.  Up until that fated day, I prided myself in having driven for so long without being in a single accident.  Of that I can no longer boast, but I do hope that I will be able to maintain a clean record from this day forth.  

Comments

  1. Car accidents SUCK. :( But it's such a good thing you, and those in the other cars came out unscathed.

    Having that humility to be so forgiving of others that offend us is an incredibly remarkable thing to have. I pray for this type of humility daily, to be reminded of my dependence on the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so glad that you are alright!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father is a man without guile. He freely forgives all. Like you, I want to become that type of man.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Anyone is allowed to comment on this blog. As you can tell from reading my blog, I am very opinionated and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. You're welcome to disagree with me as mildly or vehemently as you like, but be aware that I will reply with my own opinions, very strongly. If you don't want that kind of open discussion, or you think it will hurt your feelings, then please avoid posting. I do try to be respectful, but my verbology often comes across as brusque.

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchens v god

I'm rather ashamed to admit that I just recently discovered Christopher Hitchens. And, while I normally add my own thoughts and commentary to videos when I post them here, in nearly every Hitchens video that I've encountered, I have not a single word to add. He is so articulate and does such a good job of presenting his case that I couldn't possibly add anything to it.  I would definitely be interested if any of my readers have any comments to make in regards to what Hitches says in this video. Enjoy.  

Do you really believe?

This is Richard Dawkin's talk from yesterday's Reason Rally in Washington DC.  He makes several good points, but the one that stuck out to me the most was when he told people that they should challenge someone when they say they're religious.  The example he gave is when someone says they're Catholic, ask them if they really  believe that when a priest blesses a wafer that it actually turns into the body of Christ, or that the wine actually turns into his blood.  So, this post will be dedicated to me asking any of my reader base who are religious, do you really  believe what your religions teach? For those who are Christian (any denomination thereof), Do you really believe every word of the Bible to be the word of god?  If so, read every word of the Bible and then come back and answer the question again. Do you really believe that a snake tricked Eve into eating fruit that made her suddenly unfit to live in the paradisiacal garden god had just made for her? Do y

Co-efficiently Co-related

 I'm a fairly reserved person. I don't open up easily to people. I tend to hold my hand close to my chest, hesitant to lay cards on the table. However there have been a few times in my life where I have had a heart-to-heart talk with someone and I find them to be very rewarding. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year now. One thing that I have decided over all the chats I've had with him is that the people I want to spend the most time with are the ones that I feel the closest to. I have many friends (I use the term "friends" more loosely than some, since to me the term "acquaintance" feels very odd) who are fun to interact with, but our interactions are sparse or superficial. I think it's perfectly fine to have these kinds of friendships--in fact, I think they can be very beneficial. But I have decided that for my own well-being, I will not be putting any measurable amount of emotional effort into such a friendship. I want to reserve that