Skip to main content

Forgiveness

There is a book called The Miracle of Forgiveness, written by one of the past leaders of the LDS Church, which gives many good ideas about how to repent and receive forgiveness from God.  For the longest time in my life, I always felt like the miracle of forgiveness was that after a person repents, God forgives them of their sins and remembers them no more.  While I still believe this is a wonderful and miraculous thing, I have recently arrived at the conclusion that the real miracle of forgiveness is when someone else has offended us and we are able to forgive the person fully and frankly.  

I was involved in an automobile accident on Tuesday.  I could easily have blamed the other driver for coming down the hill too quickly, or for not stopping in time and ramming my car.  I could also point the finger of blame at her for driving off after the accident, rather than waiting for the police to arrive and assess the situation.  I do not see the point in the former, since it was most likely my fault for causing the accident---I should have been more careful before pulling out of the parking lot to turn left, particularly because there were cars parked on the side of the road.  To the latter, I merely say that people are allowed to make mistakes and that I see no point in taking advantage of a person for doing it.

I was very relieved that no one was hurt in the accident.  The other car slowed down enough that the only damage to my car was that the driver-side doors were smashed in and now are unable to open.  There was no damage to my person, and as far as I could discern, none of the three passengers (including the driver) in the other car were injured either.  Since the damage to the vehicles was minimal, and there were no injuries, I praise the name of my God and give Him thanks for a mighty miracle.

Perhaps you may be thinking that it's easy for me to forgive another person when I'm really the one at fault anyway, and I'd have to agree with you.  If the roles were reversed, and a car pulled out in front of me while I was driving swiftly downhill, I might find it a bit harder to forgive the other driver.  But I have also found that in nearly every unpleasant interaction that two parties have with each other, either party has a partial blame and either party has the opportunity to become angry or ill-willed toward the other party.  I have also found that as often as I do so, my spirit becomes darkened and I distance myself from my Father in Heaven.  And as often as I choose to give the other person the benefit of the doubt, the happier I am and the more able I am to feel the love of my God, for me and for the other person who may have wronged me.

There have been a few times in my life where I truly felt that I had been taken advantage of, or that I was rather angered at another individual for a real or perceived wrong they had done me.  It has been very difficult for me to forgive these persons.  In fact, I cannot say with full confidence that I have truly forgiven them.  However, I wish to be able to.  I want to arrive at the beautiful day when I truly and sincerely harbor no ill will in my heart toward any of my dear brothers and sisters here on this Earth.  If I were able to look on a person's heart and see what God there sees, then I would be truly happy.  

And so, it is with all of my heart that I pray for the well-being of the three people in the other car that hit me the other day.  I pray that my mistake did not impact them for the worse in any great way.  I pray that any damage it did cause to them will be relatively easy and painless to resolve.  I pray that in the future I will be more careful while driving, to avoid any future wrecks.  Up until that fated day, I prided myself in having driven for so long without being in a single accident.  Of that I can no longer boast, but I do hope that I will be able to maintain a clean record from this day forth.  

Popular posts from this blog

What's a gainer?

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest reading my previous post before reading this one.  It's sort of an introduction and gives the motivation.  Also, by way of disclosure, this post is not sexually explicit but it does touch on the topic of sexuality and how that relates to the subject at hand.

So, what is a gainer?  I'll relate, as best I can, the experiences I have gone through myself to help answer the question.  I remember when I was a young boy--perhaps around 6 or 7--I would have various fantasies.  Not sexual fantasies, just daydreaming about hypothetical situations that I thought were interesting or entertaining.  I had many different fantasies.  Sometimes I would fantasize about becoming very muscular, sometimes about becoming very fat.  
These fantasies varied in degree of magnitude and the subject of the fantasy.  Sometimes I myself would change weight--I would become muscular or fat.  Other times, I would do something to make other people fat or musc…

The scientific method vs the religious method

I find it interesting when people cite the fact that science keeps changing as a reason to disbelieve it and to believe instead in the "eternal" doctrines taught by some church or other.  Let's examine why science keeps changing.  Here's the scientific method.

Develop a hypothesis (this means "have a belief").Design an experiment to test the hypothesis.Conduct the experiment.Determine whether the hypothesis is believable based on the results of the experiment. This is why science keeps changing--because people notice flaws in it and correct them.  People once thought the solar system was geocentric, but now know that it's heliocentric.  How did this happen?  By using the scientific method.  Scientists are willing to admit that they're wrong.  They're willing to give up a bad idea when they see evidence that it makes no sense.  Contrast this with the religious method (simplified version). Have a belief.Look for evidence to support that belief.Ignor…

Gymtimidation

Like many of my posts, this one has been floating around in my mind for a couple months.  I know many people avoid the gym because it is intimidating, so I'd like to share my thoughts about this phenomenon.  First of all, obviously going to the gym isn't the only intimidating thing in life, and many of these thoughts are things that easily translate to any other of these intimidating things.

So I'd like to share some of my personal experiences with gyms.  The first time I recall ever going into a weight room to use it was my first year of college.  I had PE classes all through K-12, but I don't remember ever using the weight room--just group sports, etc.  I recall being intimidated by all the machines.  Some of them I could figure out on my own, but many of them I just stared at and couldn't possibly conceive how it was meant to be used.  Fortunately, I occasionally went with friends and one friend was very familiar with all the equipment so he could help.  So, kn…